Planting season in the UK is spread throughout the year, with different times being ideal for different types of plants and growing conditions. Here’s a general breakdown:
Early Spring (March to April):
- Ideal for hardy vegetables like peas, broad beans, carrots, parsnips, radishes, and spinach.
- Suitable for planting fruit trees and early-flowering shrubs like roses and lilacs.
- You can start sowing seeds indoors for tender vegetables like tomatoes and peppers for later transplanting.
- Perfect for planting bare-root and container-grown trees as the soil warms and growth begins. Suitable for most tree types.
Mid-Spring (May to June):
- Prime time for planting most vegetables, including courgettes, pumpkins, potatoes, lettuce, cabbage, and beetroot.
- Good for planting annual bedding plants and summer-flowering shrubs.
- Continue sowing seeds indoors for longer-season vegetables like cucumbers and melons.
- You can plant specific types of trees like hornbeams and alders as they readily establish roots during this time.
Summer (July to August):
- Focus on planting fast-growing vegetables like salad greens, radishes, and herbs for continuous harvesting.
- You can plant tender vegetables like tomatoes and peppers that were pre-grown indoors.
- This is a good time to plant container plants and bedding displays for summer blooms.
Early Autumn (September to October):
- Plant vegetables for autumn and winter harvests, such as leeks, kale, Brussels sprouts, and turnips.
- Ideal for planting bulbs like tulips, daffodils, and crocuses for spring blooms.
- You can plant fruit trees and shrubs bare-root before the ground freezes.
- Ideal for planting bare-root trees while they’re dormant and less stressed. This includes many deciduous trees like oaks, maples, and elms.
Late Autumn and Winter (November to February):
- This is the main season for planting bare-root trees and shrubs while they are dormant.
- You can still plant container-grown trees and shrubs during milder periods.
- Start planning and ordering seeds for the following spring season.
We are a team of passionate and experienced horticulturists, armed with a wealth of knowledge and a genuine love for creating stunning outdoor spaces. So, why wait? Hortlands are here to guide you every step of the way. Get in touch with us today.